Have six weeks gone by already? I must have been busy. I was in New York for the TESOL conference there, meeting Webheads galore, and then I stopped off in London on my way back to Abu Dhabi where, on April 7, 2008, I had been invited to present at the Learner Autonomy SIG Pre-conference event here: http://learnerautonomy.org/exeter2008.html, scheduled as part of the 42nd Annual IATEFL Conference in Exeter http://www.iatefl.org/content/conferences/2008/index.php 7th-11th April 2008.
My presentation was a part of the "Autonomy and the language classroom: opening a can of worms!" project, http://learnerautonomy.org/wormsindex.html.
- I am indicated as being 'keeper' of the Technology worm here: http://learnerautonomy.org/wormsmay2007.html (though I was able to pass that off to Deborah Healey back in New York, and now she's got it :-)).
- I produced a paper prior to this: Stevens, Vance. (2007). The Multiliterate Autonomous Learner: Teacher Attitudes and the Inculcation of Strategies for Lifelong Learning, in Independence,Winter 2007 (Issue 42) pp 27-29. Retrieved February 17, 2008 from http://www.learnerautonomy.org/VanceStevens.pdf.
- The paper is also on my site here: http://www.homestead.com/prosites-vstevens/files/efi/papers/iatefl/exeter2008/lasigworm.htm and is mirrored as a blog post here: http://advanceducation.blogspot.com/2007/07/multiliterate-autonomous-learner.html.
- My slides are posted here: http://www.slideshare.net/vances/lets-start-with-teacher-autonomy-multiliteracies-and-lifelong-learning/ or http://tinyurl.com/5qmuxd
- Jo Mynard did a nice writeup of my talk on her blog here: http://iateflexeter2008.blogspot.com/2008/04/multiliterate-autonomous-learner.html
I repeated my Exeter presentation at an event April 12, 2008 at the Abu Dhabi Men's College in Abu Dhabi. I started with a short report from the LA SIG Preconference Event in Exeter, and then did the larger presentation on The Multiliterate Autonomous Learner: Teacher attitudes and the inculcation of strategies for lifelong learning, "with focus in particular on the influence of teacher attitudes towards technology as it might impact autonomy in the newer generations of learners."
- I recorded the presentation in Elluminate and stored the recording online, and you can view and listen to it here: http://tinyurl.com/468qrp.
- I used the Exeter slide show with hyperlinks, http://tinyurl.com/5qmuxd
- A photo album was put up to archive the event, well done, with links: http://picasaweb.google.com/tailearn/IndependentLearningResearchMorning2008